Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Life from the other side! Home - Day 1

Soo I'm home and recovering nicely!!! The past few days have been a blur! I've been meaning and meaning to blog but time just got away from me so quickly!

So I had my pre-op nutrition class last Monday which was fine! Mom went with me and we got all the info from Amber we would need to know about what I can and cannot eat after surgery and what kind of timeline we were looking at, etc. She gave us some samples of chewable vitamins so that was neat. We learned a lot of interesting information.

Friday I had my pre-op appt with anesthesia where they told me I'd be under general anesthesia and that I'd have a breathing tube, etc. Which really freaked me out b/c all I could think was - Grey's Anatomy - shoving a tube down someones throat b/c they're seizing. Haha. But luckily I'm sure it looked nothing like that!

After that I met with Fuzz where he asked me to participate in a longitudinal 5 year study, which I was really excited about! I want to participate in as many studies as I can because I think this is such a great thing and I think it can help a lot more people than just me.

So cutting to the chase.. Monday they called and said that I needed to be at the hospital at 6am on Tuesday.. yikes!! So I stayed at Mom & Dad's and we woke up at the crack of dawn and Mom and I headed to the hospital! We got all checked in and they took me back really quickly!

They gave me a little bit of something to ease my anxiety, etc. and I was feeling good! Mom and I were being silly bc that's just how I deal with my stress! And eventually they took me back, and said it would be really busy in there and that it would be about 10 degrees, they weren't lying! They started putting monitors on me and I could hear people talking all around, but no sooner than I was in there, was I passed out! And when I finally came to I was in recovery! Not bad at all!

Apparently I was in there for about 2 hours and Dr. Fernandez used the single incision technique which is freakin awesomeee! He went through my belly button to do everything! The only other incision I have is one like 3-4cm right by my sternum where they had to hold my liver out of the way!

They took me to my room where Mom met us and Dad came later. I was loopy and doped up on morphine so I was feelin good! I remember asking someone if I snored while I was in surgery and she said no! Haha. That was a relief! I told my mom some funny things... which is awesome.... And we just hung out and I was returning texts and phone calls for the majority of the day. I got some GORGEOUS flowers and balloons!! And started walking around a couple hours after getting back to the room. I decided the point when I had to get up and use the bathroom anyway was a good time to go for a walk, but first had to change into a cuter gown!

The nureses were impressed with my walking and made sure to tell Fuzz's resident and Fuzz himself. They were totally bragging on me and I liked it :) I spent most of the day watching TV with mom and "entertaining" guests! Ashley, my bbmbff, came by after work, before heading to the apartment to clean, she's an amazing best friend! Lindsey came by when she got off work and straightened my hair for me because it was a hot mess! Another amazing best friend :) My beloved sister came by later and brought me some daisies and daphodils - my two favvvorite flowers! She knows me so well! She layed in bed with me and we played like we used to in our Granna's bed that moved the same way. It was nice to act like kids again, one last time before she has her own! Later on Brian came so Mom and Jen got to leave to go get something to eat without leaving me alone. Haha. B and I watched The Office and just chilled.. the perfect end to the perfect day!

I got to come home today after Fuzz and his resident came by, the pharmacist came by, and the nurses gave me apple juice, which I was able to keep down. Molly came by in the midst of all of that and had some great words of advice and encouragement! She's the best! Her progress gives me so much hope for myself!

Mom and I walked (ok, ok, I slowly hobbled) to the car, and let me tell ya... lots of flowers, baloons, and a really uncomfortable Becky was a sight to be seen! We made it though! And even made a couple stops on the way home! Once we arrived home, I put Mom on diva duty overtime and I'm pretty sure she was about to lose her mind. Her favorite part of the day had to be after I took some phenegrine and passed out for an hour & 1/2 nap.. It was the closest she's felt to having a baby in the house again, I'm sure. Haha. When I woke up, my first question of course was, Is Kristin here?? Mom said she and Lindsey were both here and hangin out by the pool waiting for me to wake up!

I was elated and quickly (ha!) got up and went and sat outside with them and even did a couple of walking laps around the pool. We sat and chatted and caught up and had a great time! It was great! Lindsey left and later, Holly came! With more pretty flowers - I'm so spoiled! Not to mention the beautiful ones that were there when we arrived home from Kelly & Clayton and from my Uncle Laurie & Aunt Patti!

We chatted with Holly for a good while and loved hanging out with her, I'm so glad she's moved back home so that we can hang out more often! Yay! Brian came over and got to meet them, so that was nice! We watched most of the Informant, but it was dumb so once everyone left we all went to bed... to gear up for a semi-busy/relaxing day with Kristin tomorrow! We'll see how I hold up...

No comments:

Post a Comment